Sunday, December 31, 2017

~Life Without a Mixer #3~

If you live in the South, no doubt you have had biscuits, potatoes, or bread, and gravy. I am not sure if it is strictly a southern thing, but I've only ever lived in the South, so I don't know. But it is a staple in a Southerners diet. I always love it when my mother makes gravy, and we have Pillsbury buttermilk biscuits. Here is the very easy recipe. (I added a few things to enhance the already delicious flavor. )

Here's a tip! If you want your ground beef to be cut up into smaller pieces, use a potato masher instead of a spatula will give the meat that consistency.  This method is especially perfect for tacos or burritos, it just gives it that Spanish feel (like the meat they have at Taco Bell, but much, much healthier.. haha! )  You can also just buy one designed for meat, which I didn't know existed until a few weeks ago.

Hamburger Gravy. 
Serves 8 with leftovers.

Note, use milk in the place of water if you don't have lactose allergies.

Start off with cooking 1-2 pounds of ground beef (I used one pound this time) in a large skillet.
Add 1 tsp each of
onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder, and salt. 


Cook the meat thoroughly, using a potato masher. Use a large spoon to get the meat off the sides of the pan. 


After the meat is cooked, add 1/2 cup of  all purpose flour, white or wheat, it doesn't matter. Although, I have found that with white flour the gravy thickens up a bit more. I am not sure why.

  
Sprinkle the flour on top of the meat.

Using a spoon, mic the flour into the meat, letting it absorb the meat juices, until it looks like playdough ( you will see what I mean when you make this). 


After it is mixed, add 4 cups of water.




Mix it with a serving fork constantly. Bring it to a boil as the gravy thickens. 

Serve over biscuits, toasted bread, or potatoes  

Or you can have it over french fries, like I did below.  



This is such and easy recipe, and it is a perfect quick meal.
We've eaten this meal for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. It is very versatile. 

Blessings!
Chef A.



2 comments:

Ephesians 4:29-30 KJV.

29 Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.

30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.